Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>
>> Well the real problem is that pgbench itself does not scale too well
>> to lots of concurrent connections and/or to high transaction rates so
>> it seriously skews the result.
>
> Sure, but that's what the multi-threaded pgbench code aims to fix, which
> didn't show up until after you ran your tests.  I got the 90K select TPS
> with a completely unoptimized postgresql.conf, so that's by no means the
> best it's possible to get out of the new pgbench code on this hardware.
> I've seen as much as a 40% improvement over the standard pgbench code in
> my limited testing so far, and the patch author has seen a 450% one.
> You might be able to see at least the same results you got from sysbench
> out of it.

oh - the 90k tps are with the new multithreaded pgbench? missed that
fact. As you can see from my results I managed to get 83k with the 8.4
pgbench on a slightly slower Nehalem which does not sound too impressive
for the new code...

Stefan