Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09
Date
List pgsql-general
Greg Stark wrote:
> I think I'm scarred from Quicktime files because they often were
> encoded with codecs like Sorensen which produced proprietary formats.

agreed, and the quicktime installer dragging in itunes if you don't
remember to uncheck all the right boxes, and quicktime nagging you to
upgrade to quicktime pro, and the quicktime on windows player having no
way to easily play full screen, and quicktime 'stealing' every video
container format on your system unless you carefully dig through its
configurations....

> What does IE or firefox < 3.5 really do if you just link to an mpeg
> file? Doesn't it run whatever app is set to handle that format? Why is
> a flash plugin based page better than that? I have a feeling I'm just
> being iconoclastic for the sake of it here.

it typically doesn't stream.  it downloads the whole file, then launches
it.    flash plays the video embedded in the page in a standardized way,
and streams it.

but, we're getting -way- off topic here.