Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Wenk
Subject Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09
Date
List pgsql-general
Christophe Pettus schrieb:

> Historically, MOV has been the least-bad container format; Flash support
> on anything besides Windows has, traditionally, been very spotty.  The
> files themselves are pretty much the same size; FLV is (as noted) a
> container format, not a codec, and the video is H.264 either way.

I never assumed that flv is a codec ... the size for sure depends on the quality (and
resolution). So if you want to have the same high quality as having with mov, then I
believe it's the same size. But that's not the intention of using flv.

> And, of course, you do have to download the video either way; it just
> starts playing faster if you are using a Flash viewer.  Requiring a
> download first does have the advantage that it keeps the bandwidth off
> of media.postgresql.org down, since the video only has to be downloaded
> to your desktop once, rather than each time you watch it.  (I'm not sure
> how much of a real issue this is, however.)

agreed. This is the fact, if the video will have the same size in flv also. Then there is
concerning the bandwith no difference ... but I would definitely size it down in data
size. But hey - this is just the way I would do it. I am not saying that having mov files
a bad thing. Really not! ;-)

> The right answer is to move to using the <video> tag, now that more
> browsers are supporting it.  For the next event, I'll encourage
> providing a <video>-based viewer (since I don't control the HTML on
> postgresql.org, I can't make any grand promises).

uh - HTML 5 is supported by the browser when? Firefox 3.5 does - yeah. But this would be
no option for me in the next two years or so ... believe it or not - there are still soooo
many people using IE6 (what brings a lot of headaches to me for layout and javascript
coding by the way!)

My recapitulation of this discussion is to leave it like it is because it's best suitable
in more concerns for most of the people. In the future it is the best idea to use the HTML
5 <video></video> tags. Sounds good to me ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to discuss that with me.

Cheers

Andy