Re: initdb failure on Windows XP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sachin Srivastava
Subject Re: initdb failure on Windows XP
Date
List pgsql-general
On 07/18/2009 12:03 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 23:42 +0530, Sachin Srivastava wrote:
I am using PostgreSQL 8.3 on Windows XP SP2.

I am getting this strange error while initdb:

Part of the error message i get,

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United
States.1252.

The default database encoding has accordingly been set to WIN1252.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

fixing permissions on existing directory C:/postgres/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create directory
"C:/postgres": File exists
initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/postgres/data"

Looking into the initdb code, it should create sub directories (global,
pg_xlog, pg_clog, base etc ) under directory C:/postgres/data. I cannot
understand, why it is trying to create "C:/postgres".

Any thoughts?
Well the error I see is that C:/postgres already exists. Meaning you had
a postgres file or directory already. Initdb will bail out if that is
the case.
I have a directory structure as :
C:\
       ->Postgres
                  -->bin
                  -->lib
                  -->share
Now i get this error, when i tried to do initdb setting my PGDATA to C:\postgres\data which is an empty directory and i am running it (initdb)  as administrator user.

Joshua D. Drake

--
Regards,
Sachin Srivastava