Re: eosdirectory: enterprise readiness of Postgres vs. MySQL

From: Scott Bailey
Subject: Re: eosdirectory: enterprise readiness of Postgres vs. MySQL
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

> after questioning the enterprise readiness ratings of MySQL and Postgres
> on eosdirectory.com, they published an article about how they come up
> with their rating. See here and comment:
>
> http://www.eosdirectory.com/blogs/2009/06/25/is-mysql-better-than-postgresql-a-debate-on-enterprise-readiness/
>
> I personally find popularity (AKA adoption in the market) way overrated
> in there, but well...

I agree with you about popularity being overrated. At the same time go
to Amazon and see the disparity between the number of books on MySQL vs
Postgres. You can count on one hand the number of Postgres books written
  in the last 3 years.

But on a feature for feature comparison, the two aren't even in the same
class. So giving MySQL 4 stars while Postgres gets 3 is analogous to
having a family of 8 and buying a Ford F150 instead of a minivan because
it is the number one selling vehicle in America. Sure it is most
popular, but not necessarily the best fit for your needs.

Robert left an insightful comment BTW.

Scott