Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Selena Deckelmann
Subject Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi!

Josh Berkus wrote:

> EnterpriseDB would like to do a survey of PostgreSQL users, at least the
> ones they can reach through postgresql.org.  The results of the survey,
> anonymized, will be published under an OSS license for our use.

That's really cool!

> Under these circumstances, is it OK for EnterpriseDB to use
> pgsql-announce, pgsql-general and/or postgresql.org News to advertise
> the survey and solicit users for it?  My personal thought is "yes".  Yours?

It's fine until they start using their product names in the survey.  At
that point, it's not much better than a push-poll advertising technique.
    If those questions which contain specific commercial
product/branding names were removed, I think the survey would be fine.

My other question is how the survey is presented - is it being labeled
as a community produced survey? Or marketing research for Enterprise DB?

-selena

--
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily
http://www.opensourcebridge.org