Re: Scalability in postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Scalability in postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Carey <scott@richrelevance.com> wrote:

> If you wake up 10,000 threads, and they all can get significant work
> done before yielding no matter what order they run, the system will
> scale extremely well.

But with roughly twice the average response time you would get
throttling active requests to the minimum needed to keep all resources
busy.  (Admittedly a hard point to find with precision.)

> I would think that the 4 or 5 most important locks or concurrency
> coordination points in Postgres have very specific, unique
> properties.

Given the wide variety of uses I'd be cautious about such assumptions.

> In particular, these are interesting references, (not only for
java):

With this wealth of opinion, perhaps they can soon approach IBM's JVM
in their ability to support a large number of threads.  I'm rooting
for them.

-Kevin