Re: explain analyze rows=%.0f - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Subject Re: explain analyze rows=%.0f
Date
Re: explain analyze rows=%.0f  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas escreveu:
> I have always assumed that there is some very good reason why EXPLAIN
> ANALYZE reports the number of rows as an integer rather than a
> floating point value, but in reading explain.c it seems that the
> reason is just that we decided to round to zero decimal places.  Any
> chance we could reconsider this decision?  I often find myself wanting
> to know the value that is here called ntuples, but rounding
> ntuples/nloops off to the nearest integer loses too much precision.

Don't you think is too strange having, for example, 6.67 rows? I would confuse
users and programs that parses the EXPLAIN output. However, I wouldn't object
to add ntuples to an extended explain output (as discussed in the other thread).

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/