Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 18:02 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>> postmaster never sends SIGTERM to pgarch, and postmaster is still alive.
>
> Then we have a regression, since we changed the code to make sure the
> archiver did shutdown even if there was a backlog.

The commit message of the commit that introduced the check for SIGTERM says:

"
Also, modify the archiver process to notice SIGTERM and refuse to issue any
more archive commands if it gets it.  The postmaster doesn't ever send it
SIGTERM; we assume that any such signal came from init and is a notice of
impending whole-system shutdown.  In this situation it seems imprudent
to try
to start new archive commands --- if they aren't extremely quick they're
likely to get SIGKILL'd by init.
"