Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 17:39 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>>> We've asked for some additional docs. What would be the objection to
>>> that?
>> I'm certainly not opposed to improving docs.
>
> OK, so will you update the docs as requested?

Well, we already have this in the docs:

> Each time a new timeline is created, PostgreSQL creates a "timeline history" file that shows which timeline it
branchedoff from and when. These history files are necessary to allow the system to pick the right WAL segment files
whenrecovering from an archive that contains multiple timelines. Therefore, they are archived into the WAL archive area
justlike WAL segment files. The history files are just small text files, so it's cheap and appropriate to keep them
aroundindefinitely (unlike the segment files which are large). You can, if you like, add comments to a history file to
makeyour own notes about how and why this particular timeline came to be. Such comments will be especially valuable
whenyou have a thicket of different timelines as a result of experimentation.

What exactly do you want to change? Patch, please.