Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Date
List pgsql-performance
Greg Stark wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
>>> Good to know!!! I imagine that on a PS3 it would be _really_ fast... :-)
>> well not really - while it is fairly easy to get postgresql running on a PS3
>> it is not a fast platform. While the main CPU there is a pretty fast Power
>> based core it only has 256MB of Ram and a single SATA disk available(though
>> you could add some USB disks).
>
> The nice thing about it is that TPC-C and other benchmarks all specify
> their bottom-line number in some unit like Transaction per second PER
> DOLLAR. So using a PS3 should be able to get ridiculously good results
> compared to expensive server hardware...

I kinda doubt that - the PS3 is certainly not server grade hardware so
you can only compare it to a desktop and I would bet that the typical
desktop you get for the 400€(you can get >4GB RAM a quadcore CPU for
that) price of a PS3 is going to outperform it significantly for almost
every workload...

Stefan