Re: Remote access - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Remote access
Date
List pgsql-general
George Weaver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a client with a main office and a branch office about 90 miles
> away.
>
> They have a server at the main office but it is not a web server.
>
> What would be the best solution for them to access a PostgreSQL
> database located at the main office from the branch office?
>
> I am not "network savvy", but if I get pointed in the right direction
> I should be able to fill in the blanks.

how are these two offices connected?       do they have any sort of
network connection between them, or are they just both 'on the internet'
via local firewall/routers?

if the latter, what you really want is a site to site VPN.   upgrade the
'routers' at both ends to something that supports VPN, like a Juniper
SSG5's (I'm assuming these are small offices), configure the two
networks to use different subnets, like 192.168.10.xxx and
192.168.11.xxx, and the VPN will transparently route between these.
So, if your PG server is 192.168.10.25, users on 192.168.11.xxx can just
direcfly connect to it by IP address.