Re: windows doesn't notice backend death - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: windows doesn't notice backend death
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
>> Attached is a proposed patch for the "dead man switch" idea.
>> Barring objections I'll go ahead and apply this to HEAD.  I'm wondering
>> whether we are sufficiently worried about the Windows task manager issue
>> to risk back-patching into 8.3 and 8.2 ... comments?
>
> For lack of response, I assume no one wants to back-patch this.

Hmm. I didn't have time to look it over :(

In general, killing server processes from task manager in windows is
less likely to be a popular thing than using kill on unix (and it still
surprises me how many people that consider themselves experts still do
"kill -9" by defualt whenever they want to stop something..)

Given that it actually doesn't notice it if we do, we might have people
doing this that don't know about it. But I think we can at least keep it
HEAD only for a while until it's seen some productoin level testing...

//Magnus