Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Held
Subject Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Well, I think it goes without saying that such a decision will
ultimately be made by the core developers.  But to say that nobody
should *suggest* changes seems a bit odd to me.  I mean, people
suggest changes to the design of Postgres almost daily, and some
of them aren't even coders.  But if nobody outside of the core
developers suggests changes, that kind of takes some of the "open"
out of "open source".  True, the source would still be open, but
there's a subtlety in the name that is similar to the "free" in
"free software".  That's not to say that any given suggestion
is worthy of serious consideration; but to say that any suggestion
that doesn't come from the core is just "noise" to my ear doesn't
sound any different than Redmond saying any suggestion that doesn't
come from 1 Microsoft Way is just "noise".

As an aside, I don't think that switching to SVN is a half bad
idea either. ;>

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group