Re: Closing some 8.4 open items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Closing some 8.4 open items
Date
Re: Closing some 8.4 open items  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Closing some 8.4 open items  ("Jignesh K. Shah" <J.K.Shah@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/8/09 9:44 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com>  writes:
>> What about seq scans?
>
> If the kernel can't read-ahead a seqscan by itself, it's unlikely to
> be smart enough to be helped by posix_fadvise ... or at least so I
> would think.  Do you have reason to think differently?

Well, Solaris 10 + UFS should be helped by fadvise -- in theory at
least, it would eliminate the need to modify your mount points for
better readahead when setting up a PG-Solaris server.  Solaris-UFS quite
lazy about readahead.  Zdenek, Jignesh?

You're probably correct about Linux and FreeBSD.  I don't know if OSX +
HFS supports fadvise.  If so, it could only help; readahead on HFS right
now is nonexistant.

Presumably fadvise is useless on Windows.  Anyone know?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.