Re: autogenerated keys is not supported in 8.4dev-700 as specified in the changelog - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: autogenerated keys is not supported in 8.4dev-700 as specified in the changelog
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Scott Murphy wrote:

> The changelog for 8.4dev-700 says:
>
> "Implement basic generated keys support."
>
> I still get "org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Returning autogenerated keys
> is not supported."
>
> If I get the latest source and build it myself, it works.
>
> Are autogenerated keys not supported in dev-700?

They are for Statements, but not PreparedStatements.  That was
overlooked and didn't go into the -700 release, but has gone into CVS
since then.

> Also, I noticed that the way it is written, all statements return generated
> keys.  "RETURNING" is added to all insert statements.

You should only get generated keys if you ask for them.  Apparently
you're always asking for them or there is some kind of bug going on.

> Wouldn't it be better to let the developer add RETURNING to their SQL
> statement rather than forcing all columns back? That way if the
> developer expects generated  keys, they just need to modify their SQL.

Developers are free to completely ignore the getGeneratedKeys interface
and write RETURNING statements themselves.  The whole point is to do it
portably so your code works against other databases as well.

> When do you guys plan on the next dev70x release?

There are no firm plans at the moment, probably another month or two.

Kris Jurka