[Fwd: Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release] - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject [Fwd: Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release]
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Sorry, having some issues with mail not going to the list.

Another forward.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to start drafting the 8.4 release
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:58:58 -0700
From: Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>
To: Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au>, pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org

Rob,

>   Please allow me a moment to pop on my marketing hat.
>
> Firstly, what is the unique selling proposition? What can we say that
> the other guys can’t. Or at least, better than the other guys.
>
> Secondly, what is in it for me? What is/are the benefit(s) of 8.4 if I
> am already using something else? And if I am not using something else
> but I am terrified of the pain and suffering I will experience changing
> from an earlier version of PostgreSQL, what can you do to assure me that
> it will be a painfree spiritually uplifting experience?

Certainly, absolutely.  The problem here isn't these questions, which I
think we all agree on, but how to answer them in a publicity-friendly way.

> Then there are questions of customer resistance:
>
> Barriers to Entry
>
> What is the cost to change?
>
> We are currently in the process of upgrading JasperReports to a later
> release. It has been something of a nightmare. New, apparently
> undocumented (or at best, difficult to find in the release information)
> have caused systems to fail. We’ve had to roll back to earlier version,
> pissing off clients no end, and making us look bad.

Fortunately, one thing we *can* advertise is 8.3-->8.4 upgrade-in-place.
  People on earlier versions are still in for pain, though.

> Then there is the value proposition? Can we claim a really impressive
> Return on Investment?

> There is NOTHING wrong with using last year’s message if you are saying
> the same thing, only better. USP, WIIFM, BTE, ROI and the VP are all
> that matters.

Now, that's good to hear.  I can do that.

> If you can answer those questions, I can write a selling message that is
> compelling. But then, any copywriter worth his salt could do the same.
>
> My headline:
>
>     *Ooh, ah. Gee-Zez!
>     *
>

> My copy:
>
>     PostgreSQL – the hottest property in open source database software
>     has just raised the bar even higher — again!
>
>     continues...
>

> Well maybe I wouldn’t be quite as flagrant as that but I hope you get
> the idea.
>
> Regards
>
> Rob Napier

Thanks, Rob.