Re: Raid 10 chunksize - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From James Mansion
Subject Re: Raid 10 chunksize
Date
List pgsql-performance
Greg Smith wrote:
> OK, that's clearly cached writes where the drive is lying about fsync.
> The claim is that since my drive supports both the flush calls, I just
> need to turn on barrier support, right?

That's a big pointy finger you are aiming at that drive - are you sure
it was sent the flush instruction?  Clearly *something* isn't right.

> This is basically how this always works for me:  somebody claims
> barriers and/or SATA disks work now, no really this time.  I test,
> they give answers that aren't possible if fsync were working properly,
> I conclude turning off the write cache is just as necessary as it
> always was.  If you can suggest something wrong with how I'm testing
> here, I'd love to hear about it.  I'd like to believe you but I can't
> seem to produce any evidence that supports you claims here.
Try similar tests with Solaris and Vista?

(Might have to give the whole disk to ZFS with Solaris to give it
confidence to enable write cache, which mioght not be easy with a laptop
boot drive: XP and Vista should show the toggle on the drive)

James