Re: [HACKERS] Mentors needed urgently for SoC & PostgreSQL Student Internships - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Mentors needed urgently for SoC & PostgreSQL Student Internships
Date
List pgsql-www
Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> Would introducing a Duration (i.e., time-series
>>> a'la Date, et al)) data type be considered useful?
>
> Jeff Davis has already done a lot of this work; it's on pgFOundry
> somewhere.

The data type itself is quite trivial. It's all the operators that are
more difficult to implement, and also immensely useful. That part is
still incomplete. I'd recommend a book called Temporal Data and the
Relational Model by C.J. Date, Hugh Darwen and Nikos Lorentzos for
anyone interested in this topic. That book gives a guideline on how the
data type and operators should behave.

I'd love to see that implemented. I volunteer to mentor if someone wants
to tackle it.