Re: Proper entry of polygon type data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject Re: Proper entry of polygon type data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Willis wrote:

> I am aware of PostGIS and already use it. My question was regarding
> the entry format of PostgreSQL polygon data. There is a void
> in the PostgreSQL documentation regarding this.
>
> Incidentally, PostGIS uses PostgreSQL polygon, point, and path
> data types.

Errr... no it doesn't. PostGIS uses its own internal types to represent
all the different geometries, although it does provide a cast between
the existing PostgreSQL types as an aid for people wishing to migrate.

> Using PostGIS for simple , non-geographic, polygon rules is a
> bit like using a tank to kill a mosquito.

Interesting metaphor... ;)

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS