Re: hstore improvements? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: hstore improvements?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ron,

> I imagine most EAV systems allow multiple values for each
> attribute - and a hstore that supported this could probably
> be a pretty nice general solution for many EAV systems.  IIRC
> other people asked about similar on the lists before.

Well, not usually.  Generally, since EAV systems are
entity-attribute-value, the key for the table is generally
entity-attribute.  I've seen a few which were
entity-attribute-attributenumber-value, but those are rare.

Overally, I think the ability to stick an array into an hstore value
would take care of most real uses.  Beyond that, we're encouraging
people to use hstore in ways it won't actually scale.

--Josh