Re: Some notes on pgAdmin - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Some notes on pgAdmin
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Chuck McDevitt
> <cmcdevitt@greenplum.com> wrote:
>> 1.       Going through the code, I noticed that quite a few files use 4
>> spaces for indent on most of their lines, but have some lines using tab
>> characters. Usually it’s newer patches that introduced the tabs, but not
>> always.  Mixing both kinds of indents is confusing.
>
> Yeah - we generally use 4 spaces, but tabs keep creeping in. I'm
> beginning to this we should use tabs instead, and see if we can't run
> something akin to pgindent over the code to clean it up nicely.
>
> What do people prefer - tabs or spaces?

There'd be a point to having the same convention as the main project.

I'm not sure it's worth going over the whole code with pgindent or
similar though - it makes it so much harder to backtrack the code in
svn. Especially since we haven't had a standard before, it'll likely
touch way too much code.

But it'd still be a good thing to have a standard for new code.

//Magnus