New version of TurnKey PostgreSQL appliance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Liraz Siri
Subject New version of TurnKey PostgreSQL appliance
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello everyone,

The PostgreSQL community gave our project amazing feedback when we first
announced TurnKey PostgreSQL appliance a few months back. This was a
huge encouragement for us to push forward with our development efforts.

Since then we've been busy busy beavers and have just released a new
version of our open source PostgreSQL appliance:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appliances/postgresql

To those of you not familiar with TurnKey PostgreSQL, it is in a
nutshell, an extremely easy way to get a PostgreSQL instance up and
running on your server or VM (VMware, VirtualBox, Xen, KVM) of choice in
just a couple of minutes.

One of the reasons often cited as to why MySQL is more popular than
PostgreSQL is ease-of-use. We're hoping to help change that, by making
it easier for people to try out PostgreSQL and see just how far the
software has come.

Changes include:

* Security: SSL support, crypto key regeneration during installation,
  set database password during installation.

* Usability: confconsole support for systems with multiple NICs,
  password-free login in demo mode, and added many generically useful
  Webmin modules.

* Bugfix in the daily auto-updates mechanism.

* Rebuilt on top of TurnKey Core, the new common base for all software
  appliances, which is assembled from Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS packages.

BTW, this was part of a wider release including 12 other new appliance
images:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/news/good-news-everyone

Check it out and tell us what you think!

Cheers,
Liraz