Re: Prepping to break every past release... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Prepping to break every past release...
Date
Re: Prepping to break every past release...  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Well, honestly, this was one of the reasons why AndrewSN, David and I
> ... and Elein ...
>
>> pushed NewSysViews.  Non-hackers really shouldn't be accessing the
>> system catalogs directly, and if information_schema doesn't give them
>> enough data, we should start adding new views to I_S.

This is really a long way from JD's original suggestion, though.

Back on that track, I'd like to see a facility whereby we could provide
an alias (or synonym, to use a nearby subject) columns and other
objects. That would help to overcome naming glitches without breaking
things quite so much.

cheers

andrew