Re: SYNONYMs revisited - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject Re: SYNONYMs revisited
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua Tolley wrote:
> Way back in this thread[1] one of the arguments against allowing
> some version of CREATE SYNONYM was that we couldn't create a synonym for
> an object in a remote database. Will the SQL/MED work make this sort of
> thing a possibility? I realize since it's not standard anyway, there's
> still a discussion or two to be had about how precisely it should work,
> but thought I'd raise the possibility.
>
> - Josh / eggyknap
>
> [1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-03/msg00085.php

I still think that this is a useful feature.
If i remember correctly there were two killer arguments against this:   - it encourages people to do "lousy
development"  - extra overhead

personally i think that this won't be revisted - i cannot see a real
connection to SQL/MED here.
   best regards,
      hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
PostgreSQL Support, Consulting, Training