Re: BUG #4679: invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte 0xa3 + postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #4679: invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte 0xa3 + postgresql
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Bhajesh wrote:
>    My previous server database encoding was SQL_ASCII.i took the backup in
> UTF8 encoding.when i was going to restore the backup in new server whose
> encoding is UTF-8 it is throwing some error like "invalid UTF-8 byte
> sequence detected near byte 0xa3".When i tried to restore same server then
> also it is showing same error.I don't know why it is happening please help
> me.

What commands exactly did you use to take the backup and to restore it?

It seems that even though you specified SQL_ASCII as the encoding in the
old database, you nevertheless stored non-ASCII characters in it. You
need to know what encoding was used to store them. Once you know that,
you can edit the backup dump (assuming you used pg_dump), and modify the
line that says "SET client_encoding = ..." to the correct encoding. You
can also use the iconv program to convert the dump from one encoding to
another.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas