Re: new GUC var: autovacuum_process_all_tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: new GUC var: autovacuum_process_all_tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 17:08 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> My feeling is that we should be trying to eliminate use-cases for
>> cron-driven vacuuming, not trying to make sure that cron-driven
>> scripts can do anything autovacuum can.
> Agreed. IMO, the user should only have to think about "vacuum" in an
> abstract sense.

+1

>> The main remaining use-case seems to me to make vacuuming work adhere
>> to some business-determined schedule, hence maintenance windows seem
>> like the next thing to do.
> Also agreed.

Somewhat agreed - since in many cases the business-determined schedule
is just a rough estimate of measurable attributes of the machine. When
we say "vacuum between midnight and 5am" we often actually mean "vacuum
when the I/O subsystem has bandwidth to spare and the machine's otherwise
lightly loaded, and we guess that means late at night".