Re: Pet Peeves? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Long
Subject Re: Pet Peeves?
Date
Re: Pet Peeves?
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
Gregory Stark wrote:
I'm putting together a talk on "PostgreSQL Pet Peeves" for discussion at
FOSDEM 2009 this year.
Hmm - three "niggles" things leap to mind.

1. Case-folding on column-names.
Quoting is a PITA sometimes when you're transferring from a different
DBMS. Be nice to have a "true_case_insensitive=on" flag.
I was just wishing for this the other day.
2. Non-deferred unique checks
Merging two sets of data and renumbering pkeys is more fiddly than it
needs to be. Doesn't happen often, but it's one of the few things we
don't do "properly".

3. Date handling
Sometimes I've got data with invalid dates and it would be great if it
could replace all the bad ones with, say "0000-00-00".

You could throw in non-updateable views, exact-match tsearch queries,
per-statement triggers not having the old/new rowsets but that's more
things PG doesn't do rather than things it does.