Text search name and name synonims dictionary - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igor Katson
Subject Text search name and name synonims dictionary
Date
List pgsql-general
I have a column, containing the name of the user and there is a need to
organize an indexed search on this column. As far as I understand, I
need to use the full-text search capabilities of postgres.

I would like to attach a dictionary, containing many possible names, and
the short names like:

William Will Bill Billy
James Jim Jimmy

etc., which will give me a possibility to perform indexed search on any
of these names and it will give me all the matches on variations of the
name, regardless of which of them was chosen as a search argument.

1. Is it possible to do that with postgres' full-text search capabilities?
2. Does anyone know, if there is a Russian dictionary of these names?
3. What is the name of such kind of dictionary, to know, what to google for?

Thanks in advance, and regards
Igor Katson.