Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 January 2009 00:42:32 Ron Mayer wrote:
>> If it were just as easy for us to pull from a
>>   "all 'pending-patches' for-commit-fest-nov that pass regression tests"
>> branch, I'd happily pull from that instead.
>
> Considering that most patches don't come with regression tests, this would
> accomplish very little.  And even those patches that did come with regression
> tests (e.g., updatable views) need a design analysis much more than running
> an automated test suite.  Ultimately, it does come down to human work.

So long as the patch passes the pre-existing regression tests, it's likely
to be stable enough to run on some of our development instances.

I certainly don't suggest that this is a substitute for reviews.  Just that
more testing of patches might happen incidentally (by people who currently
test their own software against CVS head) if all the pending patches
for a commit fest were as easy to pull as CVS head.