Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))
Date
Re: Pluggable Indexes  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

> Plugability adds complexity. Heikki's comment is that adding this patch
> make the job of creating pluggable indexes 5% easier, while no one is
> actually working on plugable indexes, and it hard to say that making it
> 5% easier really advances anything, especially since many of our
> existing index types aren't WAL-logged.  Plugability is not a zero-cost
> feature.

Right.  And I'm saying that pluggability is PostgreSQL's main reason for
existence, if you look at our place in the future of databases.  So it's
worth paying *some* cost, provided that the cost/benefit ratio works for
the particular patch.

To rephrase: I can't judge the rmgr patch one way or the other.  I'm
only objecting to the idea expressed by Heikki and others that pluggable
indexes are stupid and unnecessary.

--Josh