Re: about truncate - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: about truncate
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> It's just occurred to me that if TRUNCATE no longer means TRUNCATE ONLY,
> parallel restore will need to detect which server version is being used
> so that for version > 8.3 it issues TRUNCATE ONLY.

The pg_dump output was never backward compatible.  (The input is.)  So
the output of parallel restore need not be backward compatible either.
(Unless this mandate has changed dramatically while I was not looking?)  So always issue TRUNCATE ONLY, if that is what
thelogic requires.

The additional benefit is that this will fail safely on older versions.