Re: libpq WSACleanup is not needed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Chernow
Subject Re: libpq WSACleanup is not needed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Chernow wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> I assumed it would be like SSL, which is a libpq function call, not a
>>> connection option, e.g. PQinitSSL(), and I think true/false is probably
>>> enough.  PQinitSSL info:
>>>
>>>    If you are using <acronym>SSL</> inside your application (in addition
>>>    to inside <application>libpq</application>), you can use
>>>    <function>PQinitSSL(int)</> to tell <application>libpq</application>
>>>    that the <acronym>SSL</> library has already been initialized by your
>>>    application.
>>>
>> That smells dirty to me.  How many PQinitXXX() functions are needed
>> before we drop the XXX and run with PQinit(...)?
>
> Odds are you would still need per-library control over initialization so
> I am not sure that helps, i.e. the library initialized WSA already but
> needs SSL.

That's fine.  I solved that issue here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg01349.php

One of arguments is an "options" bit mask.  PG_OPT_LOADSSL,
PG_OPT_LOADWSA, etc...  I also suggested a "int inittype, void
*initdata" arguments that can be used now or for future expansion; that
way PQinit is not limited to a single int argument.  This could be used
right away with the PG_OPT_LOADWSA idea, to pass the wsa version you want.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC