Re: A single escape required for log_filename - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: A single escape required for log_filename
Date
Re: A single escape required for log_filename  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers

Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Surely a good log rotator allows a custom rotation action (in this case,
>> connecting to postgres and calling 'select pg_rotate_logfile()' )
>>

> Yes, logrotate will happily call external applications.  Maybe I'm
> missing something, but obviously if PG can't be configured with a fixed
> filename, pg_rotate_logfile() doesn't help the situation.

I should think a good rotator tool didn't need a fixed filename either.

I'm not sure what postgres does if the filename contains %% as the only
escape, although that's would be a fairly ugly hack.

cheers

andrew