Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta
Date
Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta  (Gianni Ciolli <gianni.ciolli@2ndquadrant.it>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

Aside from the big patches you mentioned.

The following patches do not appear to be ready to commit based on most
recent feedback, and should probably be deferred for 8.5:

-- Column-Level permissions
-- Automatic View Update Rules
-- GIN Fast Insert
-- On-Disk Bitmap Index (Gianni says new patch in a week.)
-- Hash-Join Filter Using Bloom Filters
-- Reducing some DDL Locks to ShareLock (remaining unapplied portions)

The following patches are just waiting for one more fix, and have
recently work by authors.  We should set a deadline for them:

-- B-Tree GIN (this was reviewed late, so Oleg may fix it)
-- Multi-Batch Hash Join
-- PITR Performance Improvement

These patches might be ready to commit, but need further review.  I've
attempted to get reviewers for them, but none of the RRR have the right
skills/experience to do the remaining review needed (i.e. we need some
reviewers to step up from -hackers!):

-- posix_fadvise
-- parallel restore
-- Solve a problem of LC_TIME of windows

Finally, these patches need performance / field testing by a wide
variety of users:

-- posix_fadvise
-- Simple postgresql.conf wizard (or is this pushed into pgFoundry?)
-- pg_upgrade script for 8.3->8.4