9.0 ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien@dalibo.info
Subject 9.0 ?
Date
Re: 9.0 ?  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello !

and happy new year to every one :-)

i've had an idea coming over the last few weeks while i was reading the
current commit fest web page (
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest_2008-11 )

To put it simple the idea is :"why not naming the upcoming version
PostgreSQL 9.0 instead of PostgreSQL 8.4 ?"

i guess this decision belongs to core-hackers. Furthermore i must admit
that i've no idea what were the reasons to go from 7.4 to 8.0. I wasn't
involved in the PostgreSQL community at the time, i haven't found any
discussion about it on the mailing archives and the versioning page
doesn't explain how the first digit evolves :

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

By the way, when i see what's going to be inside the next major release
i can't help telling me that this is gonna be a tremendous version and a
"great leap forward" :)

From my point of view this version will be an answer to many long-time
users wishes : windowing function, embedded replication mechanism,
improved FSM management, etc.

i ain't nostradum but i've the feeling that this new version will
amplify the numbers of migrations to PostgreSQL and we will see lots of
new users in 2009. The 8.0 was the beginning of a new era, the
forthcoming version may be another cornerstone.

So it might be a good idea to increment the first digit. That would have
a strong effect in public announcements and press releases. I think that
will bring more spotlights to this new version and that will make the
advocacy work a lot easier.

i don't know if it's the right time and the right place to launch this
debate but i'd like to know what you guys think about having PostgreSQL
9.0 released in 2009 :)

--
damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com