Re: pg_restore : out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: pg_restore : out of memory
Date
List pgsql-performance
Franck Routier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to restore a table out of a dump, and I get an 'out of
> memory' error.

- Operating system?
- PostgreSQL version?
- PostgreSQL configuration - work_mem, shared_buffers, etc?

> So, here is my question : is pg_restore supposed to eat all memory ?

No, but PostgreSQL's backends will if you tell them there's more memory
available than there really is.

> and
> is there something I can do to prevent that ?

Adjust your PostgreSQL configuration to ensure that shared_buffers,
work_mem, etc are appropriate for the system and don't tell Pg to use
more memory than is actually available.

pg_restore isn't using up your memory. The PostgreSQL backend is.

--
Craig Ringer