Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>> Kurt Harriman <harriman@acm.org> wrote:
> That's why I have instead offered some patches to enable C++
> for new extensions and add-on development with minimal
> impact to the C core.
I've been a bit confused by this thread.  We wrote a couple PostgreSQL
functions (pdftotext and pdfisok) which use libpoppler.  It didn't
seem very hard to do without any of this.  Granted, it isn't likely to
be portable to all environments, which is why we haven't bothered to
try to put it out for the community; but there didn't seem to be any
great barriers for our environment (SuSE/gcc).  Is this intended to
make such efforts more portable, so they can be shared with more
environments?
Did we just get lucky?
-Kevin
P.S. Our environment:
PostgreSQL 8.3.5 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
4.1.2 20070115 (SUSE Linux)