Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From justin
Subject Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:38 PM, justin <justin@emproshunts.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is the current  TPC-E [H, C] top 10
>> where is oracle???
>>

> Where you should be looking is at the price/performance benchmarks,
> because that's where Postgres plays.  Last time I checked Postgres on
> a TPC-C, albeit being 100% free, was anywhere from $4.00 to $6.00 per
> transaction depending on the hardware.  Compare that to Oracle's $0.68
> or SQL Server's $0.84.
Where are you getting the $4 and $6 per transaction for PostgreSql.  i
just search through this list
http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_results.asp?orderby=dbms
it does not contain PostgreSql entry.
all of the less than $1.00 per transaction  are last the few years.

Oracle only just in the last year dropped to below $1.00 it mixed bag
from $3 to $52 (back on 2001)
> Yeah, I expect the normal it's just an
> industry benchmark, it's not fair, it's not representative of real
> workloads or real performance response.

First Step in testing and comparing is agree on a Standard that everyone
can agree to.  Second step test the system without cheating which
numerous software including Oracle, MS, and IBM have.