The future of Solaris? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Liraz Siri
Subject The future of Solaris?
Date
Re: The future of Solaris?  ("Emanuel Calvo Franco" <postgres.arg@gmail.com>)
Re: The future of Solaris?  (Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com>)
Re: The future of Solaris?  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
List pgsql-general
Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Liraz Siri wrote:
>> Solaris is awesome (dtrace rocks!), but I still prefer Debian/Linux for
>> the same reasons I prefer PostgreSQL over MySQL - its lack of dependence
>> on any single company.
>
> OpenSolaris?

I think it takes more than a license to make a true community opensource
project. You need significant buy-in from a large consortium of diverse
interests. Sun dominates Solaris/OpenSolaris development and IMHO it is
unlikely Solaris would survive as a viable long term option if Sun
dropped support for it. Solaris has a single point of failure. Linux may
still be behind Solaris in a few areas but I'll wager Linux will catch
up and make Solaris completely, utterly obsolete in the not too distant
future. Sun opened up Solaris too late. It has no future outside of tiny
specialized niches and legacy installations.

But thats just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Liraz