creating a specialized version of turnkey postgresql (Re: adding postgis support to turnkey postgresql) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Liraz Siri
Subject creating a specialized version of turnkey postgresql (Re: adding postgis support to turnkey postgresql)
Date
List pgsql-general
I think it could be done but this is kind of a specialized
application that it is unlikely we will get in the near future, until we
get the much more common applications out of our queue.

Meanwhile you have several options: install the TurnKey PostgreSQL
appliance into a virtual machine such as VMware, Virtual PC or
VirtualBox, and then do the additional integration yourself. You could
then burn the virtual appliance onto DVD and take it with you to work.

If it's worth it to you, you could also hire one of our developers to
customize TurnKey PostgreSQL and create a specialized appliance just for
you.

Cheers,
Liraz

Brent Wood wrote:
> Sounds great, appreciated.
>
> I've just been running a DB workshop in Oman using Postgis & also QGIS & some other FOSS tools for them to set up &
managesome spatial databases. All went very well, with some enthusiasm for the freedom of FOSS solutions compared to
Oracle,ESRI, etc.

> Which leads to my next question :-)
>
> One of the great advantages of Postgis in the situations I work in (mostly
maritime/fisheries/ecological/oceanographic),is that by adding apache & UMN mapserver you also have a complete &
powerfulweb mapserver compliant with OGC WMS & WFS Web Services to disseminate maps drawn from Postgis data.

> I appreciate how easy it is to add these applications via apt-get, but as I found out in Oman, there are still places
thatdo not have good enough internet access to allow this, & I understood the whole point of the TurnKey project was to
avoidsuch external requirements.

> Do you think it feasible & reasonable that a TurnKey mapserver release could be implemented, basically by adding
mapserver,apache, php & php mapscript to the Postgis CD or Postgis/mapserver to the LAPP CD? They are not large
packages,and I think would fill a useful niche in line with the turnkey application goals of the TurnKey project.

> Cheers,
>
>    Brent Wood
>

> Brent Wood
> DBA/GIS consultant
> NIWA, Wellington
> New Zealand
> Hi Brent,
>
> The current release of TurnKey PostgreSQL doesn't include postgis but it
> should be easy enough to add post-installation:
>
>     apt-get install postgis postgresql-8.3-postgis
>
> Since the packages are quite small, we'll add them by default when we
> release the next version of the appliance.
>
> I've created a Launchpad blueprint for this feature:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/turnkeylinux/+spec/add-postgis-to-turnkey-postgresql
>
> If you subscribe you'll get updates.
>
> Cheers,
> Liraz
>
> Brent Wood wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if this includes, or could include, Postgis either by default or as an option?
>>
>> Postgis is easily the best FOSS OGC compliant spatial database implementation available & is inherently compatible
withmany FOSS GIS related applications.