Re: Tryint to match Solaris-Oracle performance with directio? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Tryint to match Solaris-Oracle performance with directio?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mischa Sandberg <ischamay.andbergsay@activestateway.com> writes:
> Our product (Sophos PureMessage) runs on a Postgres database.
> Some of our Solaris customers have Oracle licenses, and they've
> commented on the performance difference between Oracle and Postgresql
> on such boxes. In-house, we've noticed the 2:1 (sometimes 5:1)
> performance difference in inserting rows (mostly 2-4K), between
> Postgresql on Solaris 8 and on Linux, for machines with comparable
> CPU's and RAM.

You haven't given any evidence at all to say that I/O is where the
problem is.  I think it would be good first to work through the
conventional issues such as configuration parameters, foreign key
problems, etc.  Give us some more detail about the slow INSERT
queries ...

            regards, tom lane