Re: slow full table update - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: slow full table update
Date
List pgsql-performance
> This is the critical point.  You have this line:
>
> There were 132969 unused item pointers.
>
> Which says there's 132k or so dead rows in your table.  Which means
> vacuum / autovacuum isn't keeping up.  Did you try and stop the update
> several times?  Each time it starts then gets killed it creates dead
> rows.

Try to run just ANALYZE on the table and then run the

SELECT relpages, reltuples FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'table'

again. It should report about 20k of pages, i.e. 160MB. That might slow
the things down ;-)

> Try doing a vacuum full followed by a reindex OR a cluster on this
> table and see if that helps.

Well, maybe the vacuum will fix the problem - have you executed the
query that took 167ms (according to the explain analyze output posted by
you) over a clean table? But I doubt the growth from 6.000 to 20.000
alone might cause degradation from 170ms to several minutes ...

regards
Tomas