Re: "Mysterious" issues with newly installed 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Carlos Moreno
Subject Re: "Mysterious" issues with newly installed 8.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Carlos Moreno <morenopg@mochima.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess my logical next step is what was suggested by Scott --- install
>> 8.2.4 and repeat the same tests with this one;  that should give me
>> interesting information.
>>

> I'd suggest updating to the latest 8.2.x update as well.  Not for
> performance tuning reasons but to make sure you're data's not at risk
> etc... I think there's a good year or more of updates missing from the
> 8.2.4 branch.

Of course --- but do keep in mind that the reason for this was to
do a meanigful comparison;  SQLs being run and clicked on an
8.2.4 system vs. the same SQLs being run on a different hardware
with the exact same software.  If for some reason I conclude that
the 8.2 seems to offer better performance with the given hardware,
then of course I would go with the latest 8.2.x ...

If you're referring to the existing installation, well, yeah, I've been
meaning to upgrade it, but I guess now that we are going with a
hardware upgrade as well, then the software upgrade will be a
side-effect of the maneuver.

Thanks,

Carlos