Re: RES: NewsForge Poll: Favorite open source database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Rawnsley
Subject Re: RES: NewsForge Poll: Favorite open source database?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ah, the tired old 'turn it into a closed product because its BSD' idea.
If
it wasn't so prevalent and pathetic it would be funny.

Other than the fact that ITS HAPPENED ONCE ALREADY (see Illustra)
many moons ago and hasn't managed to derail further development
(quite the opposite, actually - PG grows while Illustra disappeared into
Informix and then deep into the bowels of IBM...), I would like to know
how
someone would manage to make all copies of an existing code base
disappear from the face of the earth....

On Dec 21, 2004, at 2:52 AM, Russ Brown wrote:

> Issues with the link aside, there's an interesting comment entitled
> "MySQL has the better license", which reads:
>
> Someday PostgreSQL might be "embraced and extended" by a predatory
> company that will turn it into a closed product, because it uses the
> (defective IMHO) BSD license. That can't happen with MySQL, which is
> GPL.
>
> Two comments,  First, I'm not an expert on licenses so I can't vouch
> on its validity with regard to the BSD license. Second, I get the
> impression that MySQL itself is more on the way to being closed
> source, beinbg as it is owned my MySQL AB who charge for it.

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com