Re: feature idea - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Klint Gore
Subject Re: feature idea
Date
List pgsql-general
hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> hi
>
> would it be possible to allow (in psql) syntax like:
> \do = | grep ...
> or even:
> select * from table; | zcat - > /tmp/table.data.gz
>
> i.e. - adding | ... at the end of command to send its output via pipe to
> another program?
>
> usecase that i had today was pretty simple - check list of operators
> that are defined using "password" datatype.
>
> generally - i could:
> psql -c '\do' | grep -i password
>
> but simple way of doing it from shell would be so much nicer.
>
> we gave this feature already with \do - but i think it would be cool to
> be able to do it on statement level - in more natural (to unix veterans)
> way.
>
> what do you think?

Maybe pgbash is what you are looking for.

There were recent posts about it that can get to its home page.  Looks
like it will need some work to bring it up to current.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-09/msg01234.php

klint.

--
Klint Gore