Re: Free Cache Memory (Linux) and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Denis Gasparin
Subject Re: Free Cache Memory (Linux) and Postgresql
Date
Re: Free Cache Memory (Linux) and Postgresql  ("Nikolas Everett" <nik9000@gmail.com>)
Re: Free Cache Memory (Linux) and Postgresql  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane ha scritto:
> Denis Gasparin <denis@edistar.com> writes:
>
>> I'm evaluating to issue the drop_caches kernel command (echo 3 >
>> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches) in order to free unused pagecache, directory
>> entries and inodes.
>>

> Why in the world would you think that's a good idea?
>
>             regards, tom lane

We see cached memory growing on constant base, even if there are no
connections to database.

We have some tables that are truncated and reloaded with updated data on
regular basis (3,4 days).

It seems like postgres or the operating system (linux) is keeping in
cache that old data even if it has been deleted.

We're searching a way to free that memory without shutting down pgsql.

Thank you for your help,
Denis