Re: WIP patch: Collation support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: WIP patch: Collation support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> pg_collation catalog is also important for pg_dump, because system
> collation names are not compatible over OS and pg_dump output should be
> portable. pg_collation adds abstract layer which solve this problem.

That's a valid point. We'll still need a way to map OS locale to
whatever internal names we invent for them, though, so I'm not sure if
the pg_collation catalog helps much, but just moves the problem
elsewhere. The pg_dump output of the CREATE COLLATION statements still
wouldn't be portable from one OS to another.