Re: Autovacuum and Autoanalyze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Autovacuum and Autoanalyze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 08:59:08PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Simon Riggs wrote:
>>> Disabling autovacuum can have catastrophic effects, since it disables
>>> the ANALYZing of tables.
>>>
>>> Can we have a mode where we disable autoVACUUM yet enable autoANALYZE?
>> You mean something like
>> autovacuum = on / off / analyze ?
>>
>> We can certainly do that, but is there buy-in?
>
> +1
>
> Having autovacuum on during bulk loads can really tank performance,
> but having autoanalyze on is good :)

Isn't autoanalyze a waste of time during a bulk load? Seems better to
run ANALYZE manually at the end.

Adding that option feels natural to me, but it is a rather blunt
instrument. You can already do that with pg_autovacuum, though that
interface isn't very user-friendly. I whole-heartedly support the idea
of controlling autovacuum with storage options, e.g "ALTER TABLE ...
WITH (autoanalyze = on)".