Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From justin
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general

David Fetter wrote:
2.  Security: Patches,
When they get good and ready.  There are outstanding security issues
in Oracle that have been there for years.
Isn't that all software out there??
3.  Software indemnification (which is open source's biggest
problem)
Are you kidding?!?  Read the EULA for Oracle or any other proprietary
software package and then read the BSD license.  They both indemnify
about the same thing, i.e. nothing.  If you have any examples in case
law that show otherwise, they'd be a great thing to bring forth.
Can i have an AMEN
Being a manufacture that lives in liability. software companies license only say one thing
WE GUARANTEE NOT TO GUARANTEE the used car sale men of the world we all have to put up with.
8.  Recruiting a senior level Oracle professional with over 10 years
of experience is not very difficult
Finding somebody with 10 years' experience is no problem.  Finding
somebody half-way competent is a different story.

That's one of the big problems with the Generation X & Yer's  the work ethic is crap and yes i am a Gen X
9.  Deep, deep discounts.  I've never seen any company pay list
price for Oracle products.  It has always been at least 50% off if
not more.
50% off a price that's bloated by 1000% or more isn't much of a
muchness.

What is the value of what you buying.  Those discounts only make people feel better about the purchase.
Just went through this with Kenametal, right off the bat got 25% discount on a $30,000 plus order.  If we purchase more it could have gotten 45% discount
So what is the value of item.
But made you fill better about the purchase see all the money i saved you.  I got my boss to agree to 25% discount see i'm a great guy sales men i'm working for you.

Does this product make the company money or is it a liability ????